Thursday, January 17, 2008

Barrett-Jackson

Robosaurus!

After dropping off my uncle, whose BBQ restaurant had a presence close to the muscle cars, I quickly made the acquaintance of the friendly and rather awesomely efficient PR folks representing the auction. Aaron, Luke and Michael aren't just names from the Bible, they did everything in their power to see I got access and interviews with everyone I needed to talk with, at a time you would never imagine it possible.

I was in a room in the auction HQ, shooting the breeze with Steve Davis and Craig Jackson, absorbing the insider info as fast and unobtrusively as I could. I sat in the Shelby skybox in the main auction hall, eating chicken and watching the proceedings like a Roman in the Coliseum.

VIP treatment from team Corvette ZR-1 and team Shelby GT500KR-1. Front-row at the Wreckasaurus demonstration, before that huge hunk of metal went on the block. Limitless drooling at the gleaming lines of spoiled cars from every era and every make/model. The historic collection of Corvettes, probably in tribute to the mighty, soon-to-be-record breaking ZR1, almost brought a tear with its gorgeousness. I seriously considered just jacking that Judge--it looked so easy! The owner's folding chair was vacant and I think I remember how to hot wire...anyway.

Some ladies get this way about fashion shows, I think. Not me, I'll take white wall tires over white being the "new black" anyday. There was a fashion show, actually, from Tommy Bahama. I was to be the handsome young future F1 driver's date for the show but, unfortunately, duty called.

If I'm being vague about all the exciting news from Barrett-Jackson it's because I'm writing it up for publication. Yes, a real assignment from a real automotive magazine, snarkingtons. So you'll just have to wait. nyah.

I think I got on camera in my Jalopnik "Save the Enzos!" t-shirt. Choice!

No comments: